Join Mike Rushton for a day of navigation using the map, compass and other navigational skills to enhance your outdoor experience. The course is designed for those individuals who have limited or no previous navigational training.
- Map orientation and use of contours
- Use of attack points, handrails, backstops and tick features
- Use of handheld compass
- 4 & 6 figure grid references
- Walking on a bearing and back bearings
- How to navigate confidently in poor visibility
- Use of pacing
- Daytime navigation exercise
- Natural navigation: using nature to find the way
- Hill safety and basic contents of a day pack
After meeting at Tamarack Outdoors we will spend the morning in store with classroom sessions.
After lunch we will travel 20 minutes by car into the Forest of Bowland and put into practice what we have covered earlier in the day.
Dates & Booking Details
2020 DATE TO BE CONFIRMED
Course starts at 09:00 and finishes at around 17:00
Price includes tuition and hot & cold drinks. The course does not include food or transport.
Course Size: 6
There is a minimum age limit of 16 for this course. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
For more information on this event or to be added to the reserve list, contact the Tamarack Team on 01995 601011 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet at Tamarack Outdoors at 09:00 on the Saturday, the course will finish around 17:00.
Directions from the South
- From M6 North bound take junction 32 M55 signposted Fleetwood, Preston North.
- Follow signs for A6 Preston and Garstang.
- At roundabout take the third exit signposted A6 Garstang.
- After 5.5 miles turn right on the B6430, sign posted Garstang Country Hotel and Golf Club.
- Follow signs for Ray Lane and the Creamery Industrial Estate.
- Pass Garstang Country Hotel and Golf Club.
- Turn right onto Calder House Lane, sign posted Ray Lane Industrial Estate.
- Stay on Calder House Lane, after several bends this turns into Bruna Hill, then into Ray Lane.
- Follow Ray Lane over humped back bridge and under railway bridge.
- Pass under railway bridge and turn immediately left passing the Kenlis Arms on the right.
- Head for signs for the Creamery Industrial Estate.
- On entering the estate, straight in front you, you will find Tamarack Outdoors.
Directions from the North
- From M6 South bound take Junction 33, signposted A6 Garstang and Fleetwood.
- At the roundabout take first exit, signposted Garstang, Blackpool and Fleetwood.
- After 7.8 miles turn left onto Cock Robin Lane, signed Garstang Country Hotel & Golf Club
- At the end of Cock Robin Lane turn left onto B6430.
- All other directions as from the South.
Recommended Course Kit List
The following is a suggested minimum, in essence it is what you would normally carry for a day out in the hills.
- 35 - 40 ltr rucksack
- Waterproof clothing
- Insulated or fleece mid-layer
- Water bottle or flask
- Lunch and snacks for the day
- Sit mat
- Hat, gloves, buff
- Walking boots or similar
- Silva Type 4 or Suunto A30 compass (or similar)
- Map No: OL41 Forest of Bowland 1:25,000 scale laminated (or non laminated inside a waterproof mapcase)
- Romer card
- Pace / Tally counter
- Waterproof notebook and pencil
Q: What do I need to bring?
General Equipment: You will need food and snacks for the duration of the course, a 35-40 litre day pack containing waterproof and warm clothing, water, headtorch, camera, foam mat to sit on, hat, gloves, scarf along with walking boots or similar. In other words what you would normally carry for a day out in the hills.
Navigation Equipment: You will need a Silva Type 4 or Suunto A30 compass, Silva Romer card, Map No: OL41 Forest of Bowland laminated at 1:25,000 scale. Waterproof note book and pencil, a small calculator is also an advantage, but not essential.
A full list of recommended equipment for this course can be found on the Equipment tab above.
You need to be of fair fitness, the afternoon navigation exercise involves walking on some boggy, undulating difficult ground.
Q: Do I get a discount on any equipment I need for the course ?
Yes, all course participants get a 10% discount on all products purchased at Tamarack for the course.
Q: What if the weather is bad ?
Don't worry about this, the course goes ahead whatever the weather.
Sorry, no dogs or pets allowed on site.
Q: What about first aid and anyone having an accident?
All Tamarack staff are trained and qualified in first aid, with a full comprehensive first aid kit on site. Risk assessments and emergency procedures are in place for any eventuality.
Tamarack hold the relevant insurance to carry out this type of activity. However, it would be an advantage to all students to have their own travel insurance.
Q: What happens now that I have booked and paid for a course?
After you have booked and paid to attend one of our courses you will find all the information you will need within the FAQ or the relevant course page you have booked on. Here you will find dates, timings, meeting point, what kit and food provision you need etc.
One Day Courses - If you have booked on a one day course you will be contacted firstly by telephone one to two weeks prior to the course. If a message has to be left we follow this up with an email. The reason for contacting you is to ensure you are still able to attend and that if you have any further questions or queries regarding the course we can sort this out.
Multiple Day Courses - If you have booked on a multiple day course you will be contacted firstly by telephone two months then again one month prior to the course. If a message has to be left we follow this up with an email. The reason for contacting you is to ensure you are still able to attend and that if you have any further questions or queries regarding the course we can sort this out.
YOU WILL NOT BE SENT THROUGH THE POST PAPER JOINING INSTRUCTIONS, ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED IS ON OUR WEBSITE.
Q: If I have booked and paid for a course and I need to cancel, do I get my money back?
To see our full course terms and conditions please click here